Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Where are the Mark Twains?

Today is Mark Twain's birthday. For your pleasure, I list some of my favorite Twain quotes. Even among my favorite authors that I admire today, this kind of pithy wisdom and raw common sense is missing. Perhaps there is some truth to his quotes about schooling and education!


'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Don't let schooling interfere with your education.

A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.

Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.

Education consists mainly of what we have unlearned.

God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board.

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.

God created war so that Americans would learn geography.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.


- Posted using my iPhone

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Love them all! Especially the one about the school board.