Saturday, March 26, 2011

Graveyard Good!

We had breakfast for supper tonight, one of our favorite meals! KK is normally in charge of the scrambling of the eggs; however, tonight he requested his favorite version of eggs, oven baked scrambled eggs. So, he did his next best specialty, which is gravy!






I never make gravy that I don't think of my favorite old-time preacher, Bro. Lester Roloff. He preached on just about everything you can possibly think of, including gluttony and making your bodies unfit for the Lord's service. He believed in living naturally, and eating fresh, raw foods that you took time to grow yourself.
Once when he was preaching about lazy, fat Christians (as only he could get away with), he said, "Gravy comes from the word GRAVEYARD!". I thought that was so funny!

Since most southern style grease gravy will send you to the graveyard early, I'll post my recipe for milk gravy. It's still high in fat, but at least it's all real and wholesome ingredients. Also, I'll post my oven baked eggs recipe. It may sound odd if you've never had it, but they are the fluffiest and lightest eggs you'll ever eat! Plus, it frees up your hands while you cook the rest of the meal. Bro. Roloff would at least be pleased to know that the eggs came from our own backyard chickens.

Enjoy!

MILK GRAVY
6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp flour (salt and pepper)
3 c. milk

Melt butter in saucepan. Add flour and form a paste. Slowly whisk in milk while stirring over medium heat.

OVEN BAKED EGGS
18 eggs
6 Tbsp butter
1 3/4 c. milk
2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in 9x13 casserole dish. Whisk eggs in bowl, slowly work in milk then salt. Pour into dish and place in oven (carefully! this is easy to spill). Bake for 12 minutes. Carefully remove and quickly stir eggs with spatula, scraping bottom of pan. Return to oven and bake for 12-15 more minutes, removing just before eggs start to brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.*

*This is also how I make eggs for breakfast burritos. Just add a little meat to the eggs at midpoint when you remove them from the oven. Then top burrito with cheese and salsa.

- Posted using my iPhone

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Never heard of oven baked eggs, but I love the idea of it!

Tasha said...

You had to go and mention breakfast burritos, they are my FAV! Now all I can think of are those delish little BB's. :D