Monday, February 9, 2009

Simply Delicious Chocolate Cake

Cake decorating is a hobby of mine. I don't do it for money, just for enjoyment. With 5 kids, I get plenty of practice throughout the year with birthday cakes alone! I always try for my cakes to taste as good as they look; however, sometimes, for the sake of art, you have to sacrifice. An example of this is chocolate. Chocolate decorator frosting tastes horrible! (I usually just use brown vanilla frosting.) So, occasionally, I just like to throw "art" aside, and make a simply delicious cake from scratch. Today, I'll share my recipe for yellow cake with creamy chocolate frosting. You probably have all the ingredients on hand! Enjoy!

Yellow cake:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. milk

Greast and flour 2 9-in. round cake pans (I use Wilton Cake Release).
Preheat oven to 350.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl. Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add vanilla.
Add flour to creamed mixture, alternately with milk, beating well after each.
Bake 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes in pan. Then dump and cool completely, covered with a cloth, on a wire rack.

Chocolate Frosting:
1 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. cocoa
4 c. powdered sugar
6 Tbsp. half and half
1 tsp. vanilla
Cream butter and cocoa. Slowly work in sugar and half and half. Add vanilla. Store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Leah-Joy said...

That sounds really good! I'll have to try it! Is it your recipe?

Melanie said...

Greg's favorite! I will have to try that.