Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fresh Salsa

I just made one of my very favorite summer treats, straight from our garden! I absolutely love this salsa. It's great with tortilla chips (and sour cream, of course), and I also like to put it on a flour tortilla with cheese, lunch meat, and sour cream, for a delicious sandwich wrap. This recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups. The corn came from our garden, but you can also substitute canned white shoepeg corn, preferrably the vacuum sealed kind for this recipe. Also, this year we have an abundance of Roma tomatoes, and I used about 10 of them instead of the 2 larger tomatoes. And lastly, the cilantro is what makes this salsa. If you've never used fresh cilantro, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? The best way to chop it is to cut all the leaves into a small glass bowl, discard the stems, and chop the leaves with kitchen shears. This salsa is best when you allow it to chill for a few hours and let all the flavors blend.

Fresh Garden Salsa

1/4 c. whole corn

2 medium cluster tomatoes, seeds removed, and diced

2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 of a medium sized Vidalia onion, diced

3 tsp. lime juice

1 tsp. sea salt

1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced

15 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped, stems discarded

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

That looks great! My dad loves fresh salsa, I'll have to try it.