Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Whole Grain GOODness!

This delicious chocolate chip muffin recipe is made with all whole wheat flour. I use my favorite brand, King Arthur WHITE whole wheat flour. If you have never tried different whole wheat flours, I encourage you to look into King Arthur White Whole Wheat. Most whole wheat flours you buy or grind yourself are made from red whole wheat berries. There is no difference in quality or nutrition, the difference lies in the time of the year that the wheat is harvested. I have found the white whole wheat to be much more palatable for my family, and I can still feel good about the health benefits of cooking with whole wheat.

This recipe is a favorite not only because of its healthy ingredients, but also because it's a quick, one-bowl recipe that I can whip up in no time. Our favorite version is this chocolate chip recipe, but I also use this as my "base" recipe for all muffins. Be creative! Try white chocolate chips (always a winner!) or diced apples or blueberries with 1/2 tsp. cinammon added. The possibilities are endless!

CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

3/4 c. butter, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 c. milk
3 cups King Arthur white whole wheat flour
12 oz. bag milk chocolate chips
coarse sugar for sprinkling, if desired (I use Demerara sugar)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 24 standard sized muffin cups (or line with baking cups, my preferred method).

Beat together the butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, then stir in the milk. Mix in the flour, then add the chocolate chips.

Spoon about 1/4 c. batter into each muffin cup. (Remember whole wheat flour doesn't rise quite as much, so the cups will be a little fuller than a muffin mix.) Sprinkle lightly with sugar if desired. Bake for 20 minutes*.

*20 minutes is for light colored tins (the best kind for not burning the bottoms of your muffins!). If using a dark, non-stick type pan, check after 16 minutes.

These muffins are very filling, so be sure and freeze leftovers for a quick, healthy snack later!

No comments: