Thursday, January 10, 2008

Press On!

I just want to offer a little encouragement for everyone who is reading her Bible through this year. If you're following the chronological schedule, you should be in the book of Job right now. As I'm reading, I'm reviewing the study notes in my KJV Defenders Study Bible, with notes compiled by Henry M. Morris. (I own the first edition of the one linked above.)

Henry Morris is the founder of the Institute for Creation Research who passed away in 2006. He was a brilliant scientist and scholar, but more importantly, he was an unapologetic believer and defender of the inerrant Word of God. He has been called "The Father of Creation Science". I cannot say enough about what reading his books has done for my walk of faith, helping to right so many wrongs that I picked up in public school as well as "Christian" college. This Bible has meant so much to me (and I'm very cautious of "study" Bibles!) that it has been my standard gift for all high school graduates who are college bound for the past five years.

Here is an excerpt from his introduction to the Book of Job: "Except for the first eleven chapters of Genesis, ....the book of Job is probably the oldest book in the Bible. It contains more references to creation, the Flood and other primeval events than any book of the Bible except Genesis, and provides more insight into the age-long conflict between God and Satan than almost any other book. Remarkably, it also seems to contain more modern scientific insights than any other book of the Bible." It's been so exciting to learn about the ancient world through the eyes of Job, who lived so soon after that catastrophic global Flood that so changed the created world! Dr. Morris points out so many references to creation, the flood, the Ice Age, constellations and the gospel of the stars, the unseen spirit world, and so much more.

Another great companion while reading Genesis and Job is God and the Nations by Henry Morris.

It is a wonderful explanation as to where all civilizations, past and present, originated, and how the Tower of Babel rebellion forever changed mankind. It truly makes Genesis 10 and 11 come alive for the child of God!

I hope you are enjoying your reading as much as I am.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Sounds so interesting!
Thanks!

Amy said...

I've enjoyed reading the Bible chronologically. It puts the Bible in to perspective. Thanks for the suggestion and schedule. The study Bible sounds great. I am defantly going to check in to that one. Mine is a Scofield, and I haven't read any of the study helps since I read his thoughts on Gen. 1. Scofield said there was an original creation,and then "the new beginning". He say between v.2 and v.3 that the light was a diffusing light that came through the judged, wasted, smoky and empty "former" world.
Whew!
Have a great day!