Thursday, June 5, 2008

How much would a stay-at-home mom really earn?

Stay-at-Home Moms Worth $117,000 per Year

Above is a link to a short article on CNN that attempts to place a paid value on the services performed by mothers who stay at home. I think it's pretty funny how far off they truly are. Taking a look at Salary.com, which conducted this study, shows me that those who came to this conclusion are far removed from my lifestyle, and would have a hard time understanding how my days are carried out even if I tried explaining it. Also, interestingly, homeschooling isn't mentioned at all. I wonder how much that would add to it???

It's true that I'm missing out on the paid compensation, but don't feel sorry for me. I'm far richer than any six-figure executive who "has it all", deceived into thinking she can outsource mothering in just the same way she hires out her laundry and housecleaning.

Just for fun, let me see if I can name a few of the "hats" I've worn just this week, in addition to all my household/childrearing duties. I'd be interested to hear from some of you other moms too!

So far this week, I've been barber, doctor, nurse, coach, career planner, dressmaker, artist, teacher, nutritionist, librarian....oh, and frog-catcher (I guess we'll classify this under biologist, along with turtle-catching, moth-hatching, lizard-catching, etc., etc.) How boring life would be as a CEO of some corporation!!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

That makes me feel a lot better about spending that $5.00 on a Grande White Chocolate Mocha.

Deborah said...

I enjoy your observations on real life!

Let's see, my hats ~ councilor, coach, personal shopper, nurse, teacher, dorm mother, and sometimes, drill instructor...

Leah-Joy said...

I am so glad that my mother decided to stay at home with me and be all those things and many more!!