Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Happy Birthday to our Dad!

This past weekend, we celebrated Jason's birthday. We enjoyed a quiet evening at home where we ate Shrimp Boil and Blueberry Cloud Pie (made by Sis) for dessert (recipes follow). Sis made Jason a scrapbook, I gave him a watch, and KK and the boys gave him "Return to Mayberry", which we watched while we picnicked in the living room floor. It was a great evening, as we ended a week's worth of whispering and secret planning, as to how we would celebrate Dad's birthday. I can't help but think how different my life could have been, had I married someone else. Jason has provided such a wonderful life for us, and I can't help but be humbly thankful as I look around at my peers whose lives took such different paths than my own.

To all the sweet young ladies who read my blog, for most situations in life, being "picky" and "hard to please" is not a virtue...BUT, when it comes to finding a lifelong partner, BE VERY CAREFUL, and don't settle for less than God has for you. It will make all the difference in your life.

SHRIMP BOIL

2 lb. raw large or jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined

6 qt. water

6 Tbsp. dry shrimp or crab seasoning (I use Old Bay brand)

2 lb. halved new red potatoes

12 mini ears corn

2 lb. smoked sausage, sliced

Bring water to a boil. Add seasoning and bring to boil again. Add potatoes. Return to boil, and boil 10 minutes. Add corn & sausage. Return to boil and boil 5 minutes. Add shrimp. Return to boil and boil 5 minutes, just until shrimp is pink and firm. Remove from heat. Drain and serve with additional Old Bay or cajun seasoning. Serves 6.

BLUEBERRY CLOUD PIE

1 1/4 cups miniature marshmallows

3 Tbsp. butter

2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal

1 3-oz. package berry blue Jell-O

1/2 c. boiling water

1/2 c. cold water

2 cups heaving whipping cream

5 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar

1 2/3 c. fresh or dried blueberries

In a large saucepan, melt marshmallows and butter over medium heat until melted. Remove from heat, and stir in cereal. With greased hands, press into bottom of greased 9-in. pie plate. Set aside. In small bowl, dissolve Jell-O in hot water, stir in cold; refrigerate until partially set, about 1 hr. In mixing bowl, beat cream until it thickens; add sugar and beat until soft peaks form. Reserve half cup of whipped cream in refrigerator for garnishing. To remaining cream, add Jell-O and berries, beating just until mixed. Pour into crust and refrigerate pie for 4 hours. Garnish with reserved cream. 8 servings

3 comments:

Melanie said...

That is a great picture. Your family is such a blessing and I am so thankful that we fellowship and that our children love each other.

Leah-Joy said...

That sounds like a birthday around here! Sounds like ya'll had a blessed evening!

Thanks for that encouragement about being picky when it comes to the someone God has for us! I am so glad that my parents chose to raise me the way that they did so I would not be like be my peers.

Thank you for your example!

Happy Birthday Mr. Jason!

Deborah said...

I loved seeing the picture of your beautiful family...what a great birthday that was!! Yummy!!

Thank you for the advise to your young audience. And I agree; Jason is an awesome example of a Godly husband and father.

You and your little one are in our prayers.

Deborah