Thursday, September 18, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Little Man!

KK has been my Little Man since he was born. He has certainly lived up to that nickname. Caleb loves to play, but the serious issues of life are always in the back of his mind. When I used to tuck him in bed, at only age 2 or 3, he'd say, "Mom, will you tell me about when Jesus is going to throw the devil in the Lake of Fire and there won't be any more sin?" (so much for Jack and the Beanstalk!)


The truth is, I should have nicknamed him Mama's Little Guinea Pig. From schooling to discipline to child training to life, I have made so many mistakes with that poor boy, it's a wonder he even loves me now! As we watched his home movie yesterday, I kept looking at that little girl holding the new boy baby doll. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I loved that little boy, and I prayed for him, and the Lord just took that little girl and turned her into a mother.

Caleb is a very serious young man, and very conscious of the world around him. (The poor soul can't even vote yet, and he's so upset about this presidential election!) He prays for the salvation of his brothers and sisters, and dresses and carries himself like one of the men at church. Of course at home, he's still young enough to grab a sword, gun, and his Confederate cap, and go out to change history in the back yard.

It's a different phase of life when your children grow to be as tall as you are. I suppose at 5'2 1/4", that was bound to happen to me sooner than later, but it is a strange feeling looking eye to eye with your offspring. I didn't have brothers, and it's been fascinating to me watching this slow, daily transisition of a boy into a man. He's only 11, but he takes another step toward manhood every day. For me as his mother, that means he's moving away from me and toward his daddy. I wouldn't have it any other way, but I struggle hard to resist the urge to hold on.

Happy Birthday, KK! Mom loves you, and I'm so proud of what the Lord is doing in your life.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

You are making me cry!!!!

What a wonderful young man, the Lord really answered my prayers when I prayed for Josh to have a best buddy. I could not have hand picked a better one.

Happy Birthday Caleb, we love you!
All of the Robinson's!

Leah-Joy said...

Happy Birthday KK!! He is so sweet and kind. He seems like a wonderful big brother!

PS. How did he get the nickname, KK?

Tara said...

Caleb got his nickname when he was only 5 months old. Some friends of ours had a daughter who was about a year older than him. When she started to talk, she called him "KK", and it just stuck. When Sis came along, it became permanent, I guess, since that's all she (or the others) has ever called him.