Thursday, August 6, 2009

"For what is your life?"

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that." James 4:14-15

Obviously, I've been behind on my blogging this week, but with good reason. After 5 children, we actually got our first set of stitches last Monday evening at the ER. Our precious little Rosebud fell and hurt her mouth badly, possibly even losing some of her beautiful little teeth (pray hard!). I'm not trying to exaggerate; it certainly could have been much worse, but I've learned a lot through this experience.

She fell Monday evening around 7:30, and the initial accident was horrible. Being a facial injury, there was a lot of blood. A LOT. Now I consider myself a pretty cool head, but instantly my baby was drenched in blood, and even I almost panicked. It was a heartwrenching experience for me and Jason to have to watch them sew her up, and to hear her painful screams. If you are a follower of my blog, you've seen Rosebud's famous smile. That smile was no where to be found. Two of her front teeth were pushed deep into her gums. Her mouth and gums purple and whole face swollen. So pitiful! And it all happened in just one instant.

When we got home late Monday evening, I was holding the baby and trying to get her to calm down for sleep. I looked over and saw my "To Do" list that I was working on completing for the day, just when the accident happened. The garden vegetables still weren't put away, the homeschool lesson plans still weren't completed, the kids missed their baths, on and on. I'm a listmaker (or list slave, maybe), but it occurred to me that every time I make out my list for tomorrow, I'm making the huge assumption that I'm going to be here tomorrow to complete my list. I thought of the scripture, "Boast not thyself of tomorrow, for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth." from Prov. 27:1.

I haven't got much accomplished this week, just mostly holding my girl, but my perspective has definitely changed. I want to accomplish more meaningful tasks, things that affect eternity for me and my family; not just things that satisfy my personal ambitions and needs. I still want to plan and make my famous lists, to plan like I have many years to work for the Lord. But I want to work as if this were my last day on earth. For all I know, it could be.

Here's a pic of my little Summer Rose. You can see the how her whole face is swollen. The inside of her mouth is all purple and there's a huge gash, and she has 3 stitches on her outside lip. As of now, her teeth are still pushed up and back, but we are praying they will work themselves out some. Thanks to everyone who has called to check on her. We are grateful for your concern and prayers.

2 comments:

Amber Martin said...

Hello! I found your blog off of WTM. You have a beautiful family and I enjoyed visiting here!:)

Melanie said...

Poor Sweet Rosebud.

Thanks for this post. I really want to keep this in mind, esp. now that I am in "planning mode". I really don't want to schedule the life out of my children and I don't want to forsake joy in favor of routine while I am blessed to have them all here with me. It is a fine balance, isn't it?