Monday, November 9, 2009

It's Good Enough for Me

When Jason and I began our family, we were so scared and excited at the same time. We were nervous and didn't really know what we were getting into. No one does. We found parenting to be a pure joy, but the hardest thing we'd ever done. More than anything, we wanted our children to come to know our Saviour. All our decisions regarding entertainment, recreation, friends, church, and school have been centered around that one desire. We've made mistakes, and we've also made enemies and had people accuse us of being too strict and other things that I'd rather not say here. The sacrifices have been great on our part just to stand firm on the convictions that the Lord has given us on how to raise our children. Friends have come and gone. Family has come and gone. But the Lord has been true.

And as I sit here this morning, I can tell you that it has all been worth it. The Lord saved my baby girl Madelyn yesterday. It was glorious. It was real. And it was worth more than anything I've ever had to give up in order to live by my convictions.

We've never allowed our children to go into children's church. We don't allow them to go to youth groups or AWANA. We've never taught them The Roman Road (as Bro. Milby says, we don't want to go to Rome, we want to go to Calvary!). We don't believe in child evangelism "techniques" that teach children the ABCs of salvation (Admit, Believe, Confess). And we don't want them "making decisions" for Christ. Madelyn already believed in God and knew she was a sinner before she got saved. "Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." (James 2:19) You'll be no better off than the devil by ABC techniques, without the drawing power of the Holy Spirit, "No man can come to me, except the Father which has sent me draw him" (John 6:44).

We've tried to keep their hearts and minds pure and uncluttered so they could hear from the Lord. We've kept them at home with us most of the time, so that we were there to answer their questions about the Lord. We've raised them under spirit-filled preaching, and just prayed that the same Holy Spirit that drew us to salvation would grip the hearts of our children as well.

If you think I'm bragging about being a great parent, you just don't get it. I am helpless. I am nothing. I have tried to lay the groundwork, but in the end, I can't save my own child. What I'm trying to say is, AS MUCH AS I WANTED TO, I COULD NOT HELP MADELYN MAKE THAT DECISION. I have watched her struggle and cry and wrestle with God, but I couldn't do it for her. My daughter had to do personal business with her Creator. As I watched her precious little feet inch closer and closer to the aisle, I knew she was exercising that measure of faith that God has dealt to every man (Rom. 12:3). The modern church has lost confidence in the convicting power of the Holy Spirit. The Lord hasn't changed his method of salvation. He'll save your child the same way he saved you and your parents and your grandparents and your great-grandparents, etc....

It was good for our Fathers
It was good for our Mothers
It will take us all to heaven,
And it's good enough for me!

5 comments:

Ryan said...

Praise the Lord!

I grew up with church and all the paths you described. Personal conviction did not happen until I was 21. I am so glad that I did not join some death insurance plan but I have chosen to be part of kingdom active and living now.

Tara said...

Thank you for sharing that testimony, Ryan. God is so good, and I pray His blessings on you and your family.

Unknown said...

What wonderful news!!!

Melanie said...

Praising the Lord with you on this. She is such a sweet blessing, all of your children are.

Anonymous said...

I was so tickled to get that phone call from Madelyn, Sissy. I have had her on my mind lately and was waiting on it!
- jay jay