Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Garden Recipes

I'm getting so excited about our garden. Jason works so hard on it every year. To be perfectly honest, I help with the harvesting, but I don't really help too much in planting, except when I'm asked. For one thing, plants hate me; secondly, I'm allergic to nature. However, when the time comes, I love to cook, can, and freeze everything my husband plants! I just pulled the last bag of squash out of the freezer from last year's garden to cook for supper, and I wanted to share one of my favorite recipes to use with fresh squash. Enjoy!

SQUASH DRESSING
1 lb fresh squash; sliced, cooked, and drained*
(*you can use a 16 oz. bag frozen squash)
1 small cake cornbread, baked and crumbled (I use 8in iron skillet, makes about 2 cups crumbled)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small onion, finely chopped

1/2 c. melted butter
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 tsp. sage
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Mix all together. Baked in a greased small casserole dish (7 x 11 or 9 x 9), uncovered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

No comments: