Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tough Week!

I stuck to my guns, and now we are officially "passie-free". It wasn't easy, though! Last Monday morning, just after I had explained to Summer that passie was "lost", Caleb ran over her toe with the vacuum cleaner and tore half her nail off (he felt so bad, he was just playing with her). Of course she screamed "Passie!" for about 30 minutes, but I knew it was now or never.... Then, she woke up Thursday morning with a horrible virus and cried for it again, but Mean Mama wouldn't give in. She is still walking around the house shrugging her shoulders and lifting her hands asking, "Where passie go?"

I've been reminded of a truth that I learned a long time ago as a mother, that children need to be challenged. We've watched our little Rosebud truly blossom this week, picking up about 5 new words/phrases (including "Thanks" and "Sorry"), and even walking along cooperatively with KK and Sis in Wal-Mart (instead of being confined to the buggy seat). She even puts herself to bed now, running over and kissing me and Jason when she sees the other kids doing so, and saying so seriously, "Night. Love you." I guess I'm a little surprised at myself at how tempted I've been with this child to "baby" her. (Maybe because I'm an older mother now?) I've observed (in dismay) many other parents who equate love with indulgence, and I've seen those kids grow up and suffer because they still expect that same treatment as adults.
"Lord, give me the wisdom to gently, yet firmly, mold little souls into willing servants that will obediently answer Your call when that day comes."
Here she is practicing songs at church with all the "big kids":

We knew she was finally feeling better when she came running down the hall like this:

She had taken her dress off and put on Bubba's motorcycle shirt (well, sort of...), and swiped Sis's lipgloss from her purse.

Look at those beautiful eyes! I love that mischevious girl! I can't believe she'll be 2 years old next week!

2 comments:

Parsley said...

Well 'mean mommy' you both did it! Congrats.

Melanie said...

Great Job!

I can't believe that she will be two next week either!