Monday, December 31, 2007

Resolved

It's that time of year again! New Years Resolutions, something of which I rarely make, but I do like to ponder on what all has taken place the previous year, and what I would like to see happen in times ahead. One thing I enjoy meditating on, is the resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. I don't even pretend to be anything near as spiritually-minded as this great man, but his resolutions are very humbling and thought-provoking. You can read them below.

The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards

This has been a strange and trying year for our family. I have cried more this year than ever before in my life. Even so, the Lord has been faithful. My family has grown closer together for it, and Jason and I have grown closer together, in ways that you can't predict or even explain on your wedding day. It's just one of those blessings that the Lord gives His children when they weather storms together; when, together, they turn to Him, instead of to drugs or psychologists or the world for comfort. It's hard to explain, but it makes the journey worth it.

On a happier note, we have gained the promise of a new life. What could be more hopeful than this? We have gained friendships that have blessed us so richly, and a special bond with our small church family as we have weathered our first full year together. Thank you, Lord.

For this year, I am going to read the Bible through chronologically. I have read through the Bible completely twice, once in 1997 and again in 2001. I'm ashamed to say I haven't done it since then. The first time, I read straight through from Genesis to Revelation. The second time, I read some O.T. and some N.T. each day. This year, I'm going to read chronologically, in the order that the books were written. This should prove interesting and very fulfilling. I know this will be a busy year, but I have learned the hard way many times, that I don't have time NOT to read the Word of God. Join me if you want! Here's my schedule below:

Read the Bible Through Chronologically in One Year

Happy New Year from our family to yours!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

WOW! That is what I was planning to do. (My mom too!) I am going to print the schedule out.

What a great post. I am thankful to have you as a friend.

Is it not the sweetest thing when your marriage gets to the point of contentment beyond explanation. Truly one flesh. I could have never imagined, I only pray for this kind of marriage for my children.

Deborah said...

It was a joy to read your posts. They were sooo inspirational...thank you.
I would love to read the Bible through, I am ashamed to say, for the first time. I would like to take this exciting journey with you.

I have bookmarked both links. What a great way to start the year.

Thank you for your friendship.

Tara said...

How exciting, Friends!