Monday, January 19, 2009

Holiday

While most of the nation celebrates a national holiday today, it will go largely unnoticed that today is the birthday of one of the greatest Americans who ever lived, Gen. Robert E. Lee.Here is a great link that tells about the spiritual life of this great Christian man, and another link to an interesting article about Rev. William Mack Lee. Rev. Wm Mack Lee was a slave that General Lee inherited and freed 10 years before the Civil War. He, and all the other servants at Lee's home, remained with him until after the war. Rev. Lee even served as Lee's personal cook and body servant during the war (by his own will). After the war, Lee paid for his education and helped him get started in his preaching ministry.

"So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained."
Gen. Robert E. Lee

"With all my devotion to the Union and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore resigned my commission in the Army, and save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword..."
Gen. Robert E. Lee

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thanks! I did not know that.