Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Silencing Christians




The stories told in this episode should infuriate any American citizen, and especially any American Christian. The Brittany McComb story interests me in particular because I experienced something similar to this in 1993. As one of the top 5 graduates in my high school senior class, I was allowed to have a speaking part in the graduation ceremony. It fell on me to deliver the invocation, or the opening prayer. We were required to submit our speaking parts (my prayer) prior to the ceremony for review, and I was told that I would have to change the end of my prayer, which I had written to say, "In Jesus' name we pray," as I would not be allowed to say "Jesus". Well, I was not a rule breaker, but after talking with my parents and praying about it, I decided to say it anyway. Nothing was immediately said about it, other than a disapproving look from one of the counselors, but I was really upset about the attempted censorship. So, I wrote an editorial to the local newspaper telling what happened. An elderly Christian lady that knew me, read the article, clipped it from the paper, and mailed it to a Christian law firm. In response, this Christian law firm (The American Center for Law and Justice), sent me a "way to go" letter, and sent the Polk School District an information packet informing them of the Constitution and the First Amendment. That was 16 years ago, and I am so grieved to see how today's Christian public school students are silenced and persecuted, and I fear it will only get worse.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

You know that it has to be so much worse now. I am so thankful for the privilege to educate at home.