Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pima-Latas (Sunday Dinner Part 2)

Once a month, my sisters and I, along with our families, gather at our parents' house for supper. The menu is always the same, "Pima Latas". This is a meal that my mother learned to prepare while she lived in Arizona as a teenager. It is a favorite with us all, and quick and easy to prepare. Since it is so quickly prepared, I thought I'd share it today, as a great Sunday dinner meal. It's similar to tacos, but easier to fix plates when you have lots of kids in line, and also not as messy.

Caleb and Madelyn love JayJay's old air hockey table

These are my sisters, Keri and Jada

Here is the table, all set and ready

This is the finished product!

PIMA LATAS
Fritoes (regular does better than "scoop style" for these)
ground beef, browned and drained
(I usually prepare 2 lbs for my family)
shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes
diced onion (I prefer green onions)
shredded cheese (I prefer Monterey Jack)
jalapenoes (optional)
Layer in order, then top with Pima Lata sauce and sour cream.
SAUCE:
1 quart tomato juice
chili powder to taste
1 c. water
3-4 Tbsp. flour
Place tomato juice in large pot and bring to boil. Add chili powder to taste (approximately 1-2 Tbsp. , depending on how hot you prefer). In seperate cup, mix cold water with flour. Whisk into boiling juice, a little at a time, until desired thickness.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Looks good. Will definitely have to try this. Keep 'em coming!