Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sunday Dinner, Part 1

It has been requested by several of my kind readers that I post some meal recipes that can either be prepared ahead of time, such as in a crockpot, or can be prepared quickly; thereby making a great Sunday lunch menu. I am glad to do this, since Sunday dinners are a tradition at our house. I always try to prepare something special, and it seems like everyone is always starving, and we're all in good spirits after the morning service, and everyone is talking at once...it's a lot of fun and hopefully some good memories for the children. And, I have peace of mind knowing I did not contribute to another fellow human being having to miss church and break the 4th Commandment to prepare my family a meal. I have already posted one ideal recipe, Creamy Italian Chicken , and my goal is to publish at least 1 suitable recipe each Wednesday for the month of March. Also, you can always click on the "recipes" tab at the right of this blog for a complete list of previously posted recipes.

Today, I'll share my simple baked fish recipe, and my own original Tartar sauce recipe that you can make ahead of time. This recipe will season about 6-10 fillets, so you can adjust it to your family size. I usually buy frozen tilapia fillets, but you can buy whatever fish you prefer. We also love catfish fillets prepared this way.
Fish Cajun Butter Seasoning
1/2 c. butter, melted
2 tsp. cajun creole seasoning
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. basil

(Thaw fillets) Whisk together seasoning ingredients. Spray baking dish. Brush with seasoning and bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with fork.

Tartar Sauce
1 c. mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. dried minced onion
1/2 c. prepared horseradish sauce*
(*I use Beano's brand from the deli, or Kraft brand near the salad dressing or mayonnaise aisle)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. dill pickle relish
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. lemon juice

Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for several hours. Keeps for about 2 weeks. Yield: 2 cups (This is way more than enough for one meal with my family)

Throw in a salad and baked potato, and you've got a quick delicious Sunday dinner!

No comments: