Saturday, April 14, 2012

Stringer Farm

Here's the latest news from the Stringer Farm

My smart and creative, obsessed husband is still on a quest to design and build the perfect chicken incubator. He's pretty sure this is it:



That's an 8 x 10 picture frame in the door of the refrigerator.



The only thing he purchased new was a thermostat wafer, everything else was used or discarded "junk". To a redneck, everything is usable! One man's junk is another man's incubator.





I'm forever impressed with Jason's ingenuity. He can build or fix anything to which he sets his mind!

Our garden is planted. I would post a picture, but I don't know how to use the panorama setting on my Canon, and I don't have a helicopter to get an aerial view. It's B I G.

And our newest addition, RABBITS!


Our first babies have been born (from Sis's rabbit). We have been fascinated to learn all about rabbits! I had them as a child, but only as pets, not to breed. Before they have their little babies, "kits", they pull their hair and make a nice warm nest for the litter. It's so amazing! When they're born, all you see is the "fur" bed moving around with little kits tucked warmly underneath. The mama doe only nurses them once each day for about 5 minutes. They are born blind and deaf and without fur. They wean at around 4-6 weeks, and mama doe is ready to breed again in a few weeks. Here's a video of the fur nest:



Is that not just cool?

- Posted using my iPhone

No comments: