Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Love Grows Best in Little Houses

As I was showing the kids our wedding album and remembrance book that I put together during our engagement, wedding, and honeymoon, something struck me as funny. In my memory book, there was a section for current events, etc., and one section asked for "popular songs". To my surprise (it's amazing how much you forget!), I had listed "Love Grows Best in Little Houses" by Doug Stone.

I barely even remembered that song, so I just googled the lyrics. Here's a link:
Love Grows Best in Little Houses

I never would have dreamed then that we would be busting at the seams of our house one day, trying to figure out who could spare a bureau drawer for this 5th baby to sleep in (Chill out...I'm just kidding!). When we built this house, it seemed like all we would ever need. And by the time we are able to afford to build on, it'll probably be just Jason and me remaining and we won't need it!

Still, I am so thankful for our growing family. Next to the Lord and Jason, the children have brought me the greatest satisfaction of anything in life. I would like to have a bigger house, but I wonder if the kids would be as close if they each had their own rooms. We visited with a family a while back, and Madelyn was invited to the girl's room. I stood outside the door to keep an eye on my little Sis (call me a bear when it comes to my cubs). The bedroom had a TV, DVD/VCR player, stereo system, game console, cheerleading pompoms, her name spelled huge across the wall....things foreign to my kids and their simple bedrooms. I watched Madelyn, so shy, as she looked around. What she said next caught me by surprise..."So, where's your chore chart?" she asked the girl. This girl snorted and snapped back, "I don't do chores!" As we drove home that evening, Madelyn was quiet. Then she said, "Mama, I feel sorry for [this girl]. She isn't useful to her family." I guess I half expected that she might ask why she can't have any of those things in her room (that she shares with her little brother), but she didn't. Instead, she pitied the little girl with all the material things, but who didn't have a useful position in a busy, functioning family that works together.

I think it just might be true that love (and manners, courtesy, selflessness, sharing, kindness, work ethic, etc.) does grow better in little houses and large families. You don't hear me complaining.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

How true, I keep telling myself that our parents, that grew up with 6 in one family and 10 in the other, did just fine and they slept 3 to a bed!
I think we are doing just fine, I am happy that mine are "missing out" on all of those amenities too, it means that we are together more! Your Madelyn is precious!

Deborah said...

This was such a sweet post! Our children also share rooms. It DOES make them closer and kinder to each other. We moved Noel downstairs by herself because I thought she needed the "space" now that she's in college...it wasn't long till I saw the distance between her and the others, and right back upstairs she went, right in the middle of all the siblings...smile. Everyone was glad she was back.

Noel said...

I love the song! That is so beautiful. Thank you for the Bible verse that you passed along. That was really an encouragement.