Thursday, March 20, 2008

Tramp for the Lord

I've been browsing through my quote collection again, and came upon my Corrie ten Boom section. I saw the movie, "The Hiding Place" as a child, then as a teenager I read the book and another of her books, "Tramp for the Lord". They both touched me deeply. Here are some quotes from my collection:

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength."

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."

"Let God's promises shine on your problems."



"The measure of a life, after all, is not its duration, but its donation."

"Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden."

"If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. But if you look at Christ, you'll be at rest."

It was very timely that Miss ten Boom was brought to my mind, as I've been gradually introducing the study of the Holocaust to my children. We've thoroughly studied the American Revolution and the War Between the States, and that just naturally brings us next to the World Wars. In the same way that I've had great difficulty describing sins like abortion and homosexuality to my sheltered children, I'm finding it very challenging to explain the horrors of the Holocaust to them. I want to be both truthful and sensitive, exposing them to as much reality as they can handle at their tender ages, yet without compromising their purity (as so many modern accounts would certainly do!). How thankful I am to have this account told from the perspective of a born again Christian who miraculously lived to tell about it. (FYI: the movie is now available on DVD, and is also available at Netflix)

2 comments:

Noel said...

I love your quotes! Thank you for those.

Leah-Joy said...

Thank you for sharing that! What she said was AMAZING!