Friday, July 10, 2009

I've got my work cut out for me!

Every time you look at a child, you see a bundle of potential and hope, a future full of new experiences and adventures to be had....And for the homeschooling mother, you also see 12 more years of phonics, multiplication tables, sentence diagrams, timelines, and flashcards.

Unfortunately, my little Jared isn't a very inspired student, as you can see by his face below.

This is what greets me each morning at his homeschool desk. It starts out with, "No dink you, Mom. I really wouldn't like to do school today," in a ridiculously sweet tone of voice. Then, it's, "But I'm a little boy. I like being a little boy. I don't want to do man things." [Note to self: Lay off Peter Pan] It usually ends with a little "corporal" inspiration from the teacher, threatening to call the principal's cell phone (that is, Daddy at work). And we're only doing all the fun stuff now, the art and stories pre-school "work" that all my other children just loved!

Bubbie is perfectly content to play alone all day long without disturbing our lessons. He even volunteers to "watch" the baby while we do school! I am truly fighting the temptation to just let him play his days away, because obviously I do have plenty of other things I could be doing! But I'm teaching Proverbs in Sunday School now, and this Scripture keeps coming to my mind,

"The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame." Proverbs 29:15

Dear Lord, please give me wisdom....and nerves of steel, for Bubbie's sake. Amen!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love that picture! Bub is all boy and so smart to volunteer to babysit!

Kristy... said...

I plan to "tot school" our Bub this year.. only its because he CANT be left to his own devices.. he does un supervised science experiements like, seeing what happens when you add water to peroxide... FUN stuff.