Friday, October 2, 2009

Brunswick Stew

Every year when fall begins to come on, I like to make a good, warm, filling pot of stew. I'd like to share my recipe for Brunswick Stew. It's a combination of many recipes I've tried over the years, and it's turned out to be a delicious combo if I do say so myself! This recipe fills a 6 qt crockpot. I always like to make a large portion, because leftovers can be frozen, or you can always share with someone! I'm going to list the "can" version, which is delicious, but when I make it, I like to substitute as much as possible with leftovers for the chicken, ham, and pork. I deliberately plan my menu in the weeks ahead, and freeze leftover meat to use in the stew. Obviously, it's healthier this way, but I can't say the taste is much different. This is a great Sunday dinner recipe because all you have to cook is the ground beef, which obviously can be done ahead. (I usually use taco leftovers for this.) Enjoy!

Brunswick Stew
1 14.5 oz. diced new potatoes, drained
1 14.5 oz. whole corn, drained
2 14.5 oz. cans cream corn
1 10 oz. Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 29 oz. diced tomatoes
2 5 oz. flat cans chunky ham
2 10 oz. cans chicken breast
1 18 oz. prepared shredded pork barbecue
(I buy Lloyd's brand, in the meat section sold in a plastic container)
1 lb. ground beef or chuck, browned and drained
2 envelopes onion soup mix
1 c. ketchup
1 c. Cattleman's smoked barbecue sauce
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 Tbsp. liquid smoke
Cook in crockpot on low for 4-6 hours.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I was thinking it was about time for a new recipe from you. We love Brunswick Stew and I do a similar recipe, I am going to try this one.