Thursday, October 8, 2009

Pre-Pre-K

Haven't had much time for blogging since our school year kicked off full swing. We've added Bubbie into our schedule this year (MY idea, NOT his!), and that means I'm pretty much needed every hour of the day. For our curriculum this year, we are studying:

Teaching Textbooks for Math (Caleb and Madelyn)

Singapore Math (Seth and Jared)

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (Seth)

Apologia Young Explorers Series: Exploring Creation with Zoology 2

The Mystery of History

U.S. Presidents and States

Christian Liberty Press Spelling and Phonics

First Language Lessons

Story Starters

Bible Story Guide for All Ages

21 Rules of Our House (the boys)

(whew! I'm pooped just typing all that!)

On average around here, we get a new P.E. curriculum about every 2-3 years. It isn't your average regimen, I'm sure, but please believe me when I say it keeps you hopping! This year, for our phys ed, we are studying:

"Rosebud"

Trust me, you do the equivalent of 100 toe touches per day, lots of jumping and lifting, a little touch football, and you could certainly never become a couch potato with a little sprite like this flittering around stirring mischief all day long! LOL

Seriously, everyone always asks me what I do with the baby when we school. The answer is, nothing. She just joins in (more like "crashes" in), but she's gradually learning to respect their books and supplies, and respect our time. The house is quiet and without distractions during school, and she can tell that everyone else is calm. It can certainly be tough some days, but she's beginning to get her books or toys and sit quietly playing while we work. Regular routine is a valuable training tool for children!

And, as you can see from this picture, I seriously doubt if she'll ever lack for help with HER lessons. (and I have no idea whose foot that is...or why Seth is holding it)

Homeschooling is not for the fainthearted. It's hard work! But I wouldn't trade the fellowship and relationships I've been privileged to establish with my children for anything!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

That is cool how learning is a part of the natural rhythm of the daily routine not a segregated part.

Melanie said...

Great post. Love the picture of Seth holding the foot!