Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Affordable Organic

I love to buy organic food as much as possible, but the truth is, I can't always afford it. That's why we were pleased this past Saturday when Jason and Caleb each came home with a deer. After Jason skinned the deer (a.k.a. "poor little bambis"), he and I spent about 2 hours processing the meat. Here is a picture of my Kitchen Aid mixer (right up there with the raindrops on roses and whiskas on kittens!) along with the food grinder attachment.
We divided the meat into 10 pounds ground, 4 boneless roasts, 3 shoulders to smoke, and about 35 pieces of tenderloin. Next time we will do all sausage. We ended up with approximately 45 pounds of free, organic, antibiotic-free, hormone-free, grass-fed meat.

Thanks, guys!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Organic...gives the men more reason for that camouflage and those guns. LOL

Melanie said...

Just a day ago I told Greg that we could get a meat attachment for my mixer....can you teach me what to do with it?????